Full Day Tour of Middle Caicos : SELF GUIDED BY CAR
On Middle Caicos there are a wide variety of sites to see,,,,,,,Bambarra beach, Middle Caicos Eco-Center, Conch Bar Caves, Mudjin Harbour, Crossing Place Trail, Haulover plantation – pick 2 or 3 if you want a laid back day, or find them all and really explore the island! The Middle Caicos Co-op handcraft shop and Daniel’s Café in Conch Bar offer a super rest stop, with fabulous seafood, local information and great souvenirs. Middle Caicos is very big, about three times as big as Provo, but with only 300 people. It is an island to be savoured, and many of its sites can be enjoyed for hours…remember, you can always come back!
1. Start off from Provo on with a ferry ride to North and pick up your rental car at Sandy point. Head out on the paved road through the village of Sandy Point, turn left onto the Whitby road at the “T” intersection, about ten minutes. Drive along until you reach the next “T” intersection and turn right, then straight on for 20 minutes through the Major Hill and Bottle Creek areas of North Caicos. As you admire the view of Bottle Creek to your left, and wonder if the road ever ends, the pavement turns right and down the hill winding its way toward the causeway and the pavement becomes scattered sections..fear not and keep driving for another ten minutes until the causeway comes into view. Take your time and bump along slowly across to Middle Caicos…where the pavement begins again.
2. After another ten minutes or so, your first stop is Mudjin Harbour, turning left off the main road into the Blue Horizon Resort (note the cluster of blue roofs), head up the drive and park by the cement path to the beach. It is a fantastic and beautiful location ….. hike, swim, wander for while. If you plan to hike the Crossing Place Trail bring sturdy shoes (sneakers) and lots of water. The trail is along the cliffs with seven beaches to explore – guides are available.
3. Next destination is the Conch Bar Caves, the largest formation in the Caribbean. Stay on the paved road and do not turn left into Conch bar village but straight ahead, across the airport tarmac and onto a rough road into the brush…suddenly the gates at the cave entrance emerge. Call ahead – guided tours only. Organize this directly with the National Trust, 1-649-941-5710 Email:email@example.com
4. By now, you are ready for your rest and info stop at Daniels’ Café. Pass through Conch Bar village and take the last turn left- if you reach the pond you’ve gone too far. Daniels Café and the Middle Caicos Co-op are clustered by the sea, a trio of pale yellow buildings with teal trim- hard to miss! Enjoy great local seafood, native dishes and the biggest collection of TCI handcrafts in the country.
5. Back on the road, you head east out of Conch Bar, toward Bambarra village, again staying on the windy paved road , floating through the calm greenery and sea views, until you curve right and head up the hill into the village of Bambarra – and see the nursery of the Middle Caicos Eco centre on your right. Drive on in for a tour – open Mon- Fri only.
6. As you head back down the hill toward the sea, leaving Bambarra, just after the curve left, take the dirt road to the right and find yourself on the graceful expanse of Bambarra beach. The local Tiki huts on the beach shelter festivals, the casuarinas offer shade, the sand spit beckons you to walk to Pelican Cay, the shallows are wonderful for kids to play in the water and the boat pier is great for watching the fish below.
7. For those who must do it all in one day, and want to go to the very east of Middle Caicos, you head over the hill through Bambarra and left onto the Lorimers road. About 20 minutes and one left turn later just before Lorimer village, you will be seeking the sign for the entry to the Haulover plantation ruins – a pathway through the bush takes you to the ruins of the one of the largest plantations ever in TCI.
9. Also visit Middle Caicos living legend, Alton Higgs for bush medicine lore and tours.